- About us
- Through Time
The plaque that commemorates the site of Guildford’s first cinema has been put back up.
It had been removed for safe keeping after it was damaged, possibly by vandals.
A reader contacted the Guildford Dragon to say she is delighted to see its return at 170 High Street, now occupied by contemporary furniture and home interiors store, dwell.
The plaque once adorned the front of the building. It has now been repositioned in the porch at the entrance to the store, on the left-hand side wall.
It states that the building was the site of Guildford’s first cinema, West’s Picture Palace. It was opened in the then Constitution Hall on September 8, 1909.
Many will recall that later the building was, for many years, the home of Thorp’s bookshop.