- About us
- Through Time
The Guildford Dragon News has learned that the plaque that was removed from the front of 170 High Street, (formerly Thorp’s bookshop and now contemporary furniture store dwell) will soon be back on display, inside the store.
A Guildford resident rang this website’s David Rose after buying a copy of his and Martin Giles’ book Guildford A Walk Through Time. She wondered if we knew anything about the missing plaque.
It once adorned the front of the shop and states that the building was the site of Guildford’s first cinema, West’s Picture Palace, that was opened in the then Constitution Hall on September 8, 1909.
The plaque was removed prior to its current owners moving in.
Following David’s conversation with the resident, she contacted Guildford Borough Council’s planning department to see see if anyone there could throw any light on the matter. Click here to see.
Central planning support officer at the borough council, Tony Muldoon, quickly replied with the news that the council now understands that the plaque had been vandalised and its fixings were broken. However, it is currently in the store and will be placed in a glass cabinet and put on show.