- About us
- Through Time
by David Rose
Only one reply to last week’s poser, and Bernard Parke, who is usually pretty good at identifying the locations, was unfortunately off target.
The first photo showed a view taken in Worplesdon in the 1900s looking up towards Perry Hill featuring its United Reformed Church and adjacent cottages along what is today the A322. Further down the road (behind the photographer) is Rickford Mill and Rickford bakery.
The second photo showed the Chapel of the Good Shepherd that was in Foxburrows Avenue, Westborough.
The origins of a chapel on this site go back to when the first houses at Westborough were built in the 1920s. Originally it was administered by St Nicolas parish. When, in 1947, the Anglican conventional district of Westborough came into being, it is likely that it took control of the chapel with clergy coming from St Francis’ Church in Beckingham Road (dedicated in 1933).
Westborough became a parish in its own right in 1958, and the photo shown in the previous post dates to about that time when the chapel was extended to improve its worship area.
In 1965, St Clare’s Church-cum-hall was opened at Southway in Park Barn, and services of worship ceased at the Chapel of the Good Shepherd. However, the building continued to be used and hired out for social events until the land it stood on was sold in the early 1980s to raise funds for an extension to Sr Clare’s Church. Houses now occupy the site.
Now this week’s photos. The one above shows a vacant plot of land with some pylons in the background and floodlights from the old Guildford City football ground. Any ideas which road is seen here?
Below: Busy shoppers pass in front of Courts. Where was that store?
If you think you know the answers, leave a reply in the box below. All replies will be posted at the same time in about a week’s time, along with a new post with the answers to this week’s photos, and the next pair of images.